Help Fulfill our Dreams for our New Theatre
Donate today to help us finish the improvements needed in our new theatre.
DONATE: Help Fulfill The Dream!
New Larger Home Just Around the Corner for Actor’s Rep
Bob Carter’s Actor’s Workshop and Repertory Co., founded in 1980 in West Palm Beach, is distinguished as the repertory theatre company that first dared to introduce South Florida to the avant garde and seldom produced plays seen off and off-off Broadway.
The non-profit company is also widely known for quality actors and acting classes− from scene workshops for serious career-bound actors to musical and drama classes for children and teens to improvisational workshops for all ages.
In January, “the Rep” as it’s also called, will move to much bigger quarters and renovate a former church and school property at the corner of U.S. 1 (Dixie Hwy.) and 9th St. at 1000 N. Dixie Hwy, West Palm Beach, FL 33401, just a stone’s throw from their current location.
“With this move, we are blessed with the opportunity to greatly expand our repertoire of productions and classes,” says Founder/Artistic Director Bob Carter, an accomplished stage and film actor/director/teacher who studied with Lee and Paula Strasberg, with Marilyn Monroe as one of his acting classmates.
Carter continued, “Some of the shows we’re considering for our new expanded stage at our Bette Waldron Theatre (named for the late actress who performed a one-woman show at Actor’s Rep) are:
- Kings by Sarah Burgess – a scathing comedy – Entertainment Weekly calls it a timeless exploration of political issues.
- Sweat by Lynn Nottage – a look at identity, race, economy and humanity – winner of the 2017 Pulitzer prize for Drama
- God of Vengeance by Sholem Asch – 1906 play that was way ahead of its time exploring religious hypocrisy, prostitution, and lesbianism.
- Other People’s Money Jerry Sterner – A look at whether corporate raiders are over the top capitalists or realists. Winner of Outer Critics Circle Award, Best Off-Broadway Play
Among the classes and workshops to begin when the new space is ready:
- Acting and Advanced Acting workshops (adults)
- Improvisation, beginner and advanced
- Sketch Writing 101
- Adult Auditioning for Film and TV 101
- Basics of the Biz – One day workshop (all ages)
- Drama Club – for youth and teens – exploring different aspects of theatre